Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:18:55 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mini atx for firewall

I have a bunch of these (8000s actually) for a testbed network.  work like a
treat... go fanless if you can...

I did have some hassles with the onboard via network connection not coping
with long vlan tagged packets... Not sure if this is still an issue, but the
vlan man page lists compatible devices if this is an issue for you.

also you can get PCI doublers... no idea how well they work, but!  anyone had
experience of them?

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:24 am, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Anyone used a mini ATX machine with FreeBSD?
> Have a client that has a space limitation and a mini atx machine like
>
> http://shentech.com/shutspacskvi.html
>
> Would be perfect for him.
> My primary concern is the network card. Since these small machines only
> have one PCI slot I will add one card for the internal network and then
> would need the onboard card to connect to the outside world.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824