Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:51:35 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.cc>
To:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@NewGold.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Generalisation of Base64 function prototypes.

Just a couple'o'comments:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 03:00:33AM +0000, J. Mallett wrote:
> Hello,
>   I've been working on base64 ala MIME support for uudecode(1) and
> uuencode(1), as part of standards conformance projects.  Rather than
> re-implement base64 stuff inline, I looked high and low for base64
> functions in libc.

Please see also src/lib/roken/base64.h and src/lib/roken/base64.c.
These are part of Heimdal Kerberos.  libroken is currently installed
in /usr/lib, but the base64.h header file is not.

> Except of course, what I proposed above the prototypes
> and preprocessor definitions I so hastily inserted, and that is moving
> b64_* stuff from <resolv.h> to <stdlib.h>.

IMHO this kind of thing doesn't belong in <stdlib.h>.  If it is to be
made a general facility, I think a seperate header file is what is
called for.

libroken is meant to be a kitchen sink.  I don't think libc should,
but it is.  In the future, we will probably not install libroken at
all --- just use it during the build of the Kerberos bits.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos