Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:35:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
Cc:        "Conover, Justin" <JConov01@sprintspectrum.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIC cards

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, John Turner wrote:

> At 11:56 AM 8/30/2000 -0500, BWS - Offwhite wrote:
>
> >If you are looking for a NIC card you can go with either 3Com or
> >NetGear.  3Com has generally been more expensive, but it seems to be the
> >tried and true brand.
>
> I personally despise 3Com cards.  Never had one that wasn't flaky in some way.
> Recently the hardware guy here convinced me to use the NetGear cards for a

[snip]

> If money is no object, I like Intel cards (they also work with BeOS
> nicely).  The best price/performance ratio I've ever seen is with SMC.  I
> get mine at the local retail store (CompUSA) for $14US and they come with a
> Cat5 patch cable (10/100 autosense, too).  They work like a charm in all of
> my FreeBSD boxes, though I'm not online with any of them right now, so I
> can't recall the exact device they use.
>
> Netgear is also a great choice, for hubs and switches as well as NICs.

This subject is as likely to generate a religious debate as it is to
provide the original poster with useful information. Intel for everything
that can't afford NIC-related downtime. There's my $.02 (plus $39, since I
put my money where my foo^H^H^Hmouth is).

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/