Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:48:08 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing to ISO-images mounted as vnodes?

> > While I was thinking how to make a bootable DOS-CD (the floppies for
> > sale now just aren't as reliable as they used to be),

Heh, and I thought it was just me...

> Did sound nice, just create a 650Mb file, mount it, copy some files
> into it, unmount it and ready to burn.

The mechanism will work fine, you just need to have an intermediate file
that can be mounted R/W as the repository for the files from the CD,
then run 'mkisofs' to generate the ISO image from that. Extra step(s),
but at least it works...

I generally dedicate a disk slice or two for CD mastering purposes, (so
the space is available even if I over-commit my filesystems), and mount
the partition and check it over before burning from it, but using vn
devices works nicely too, if you've got the FS space.

Actually, if someone would commit the patch that adds the 'cdrom' flag
to 'vnconfig' (for VMWare), you'd be able to check final booting and
everything from a VM, so you could perform the entire process without
needing to burn a CD except as the very last step. :)

Cheers,

AS