Date:        Tue, 16 May 2000 23:02:58 +0200
From:      Arjan Knepper <arjan@jak.nl>
To:        hackers FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyclades Cyclom YeP PCI problem

--------------CB8A78FC42326F43A9D0EE52

1.) The problem with the cy driver resides in the function
cyattach_common in the cy.c file.

make_dev is called like this:

make_dev(&sio_cdevsw, unit, UID_ROOT, GID_WHEEL , 0600,
"ttyc%r%r", adapter, unit % CY_MAX_PORTS);

where 'unit' is
 0 to  31 for board one
32 to  63 for board two
64 to  95 for board three
96 to 127 for board four.

But when I use 'MAKEDEV cuacX' for the installed and configured
cy devices, MAKEDEV does the following:

minor='ttyminor $unit'
minor='expr $card \* 65536 + $minor'

The second argument in make_dev function needs a conversion
something like :
make_dev(&sio_cdevsw, ( adapter * 65536 + ( unit % CY_MAX_PORTS )
), UID_ROOT, GID_WHEEL , 0600, "ttyc%r%r", adapter, unit
%CY_MAX_PORTS);

2.) For some reason there is sometimes a problem with detecting
the CD1400 ic's firmware_revision.
I solved it by increasing the DELAY values in a loop and inserted
some (extra) loops and check's, but I don't know whether or not
it might hurt at some point?

Arjan Knepper

> I have two cyclom YeP PCI board installed with 32 serials ports
> connected to both on a FreeBSD 4.0 release system.
>
> The first board (cy0) is working without problems however the
> second one (cy1) give some trouble.
>     When I try to connect to a port e.g. cuac10 - cuac1v a kernel
> warning is displayed:
> 'WARNING: driver cy should register devices with make_dev ()
> (dev_t = "cy/0x1008f")' but the connected is made.
>
>    I added some 'printf ()'s to the 'cy.c' file in the
> 'cyattach_common ()' to verify whether 'make_dev ()' is called
> for the relevant ports and that seems to be OK. So my question is
> what wrong here? Can someone give a hint?
--------------CB8A78FC42326F43A9D0EE52

begin:vcard
n:Knepper;Arjan
tel;fax:+31-(0)10-243-7314
tel;work:+31-(0)10-243-7362
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.jak.nl
org:JAK++ Software Development B.V.
adr:;;Stoveer 247;Rotterdam;;3032 GB;Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:arjan@jak.nl
x-mozilla-cpt:;-7904
fn:Arjan Knepper