Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:30:08 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS on 10-STABLE r281159: programs, accessing ZFS pauses for minutes in state [*kmem arena]

Hello Freebsd-fs,

  I'm migrating my NAS from geom_raid5 + UFS to ZFS raidz. My main storage
is 5x2Tb HDDs. Additionaly, I have 2x3Tb HDDs attached to hold my data when
I re-make my main storage.

 So, I have now two ZFS pools:

ztemp mirror ada0 ada1 [both are 3Tb HDDS]
zstor raidz ada3 ada4 ada5 ada6 ada7 [all of them are 2Tb]

 ztemp contain one filesystem with 2.1Tb of my data. ztemp was populated
 with my data from old geom_raid5 + UFS installation via "rsync" and it was
 FAST (HDD-speed).

 zstor contains several empty file systems (one per user), like:

zstor/home/lev
zstor/home/sveta
zstor/home/nsvn
zstor/home/torrents
zstor/home/storage

 Deduplication IS TURNED OFF. atime is turned off. Record size set to 1M as
I have a lot of big files (movies, RAW photo from DSLR, etc). Compression is
turned off.

 When I try to copy all my data from temporary HDDs (ztemp pool) to my new
shiny RIAD (zstor pool) with

cd /ztemp/fs && rsync -avH lev sveta nsvn storage /usr/home/

 rsync pauses for tens of minutes (!) after several hundreds of files. ^T
and top shows state "[*kmem arena]". When I stop rsync with ^C and try to do
"zfs list" it waits forever, in state "[*kmem arena]" again.

 This server is equipped with 6GiB of RAM.

 It looks FreeBSD contains bug about year ago which leads to this behavior,
but mailing lists says, that it was fixed in r272221, 10 months ago.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                          mailto:lev@FreeBSD.org