Date:      24 Aug 2000 02:29:17 -0300
From:      Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi OS installation

:: On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:48:16 +0530 (IST), Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in> said:

>> I had Debian installed first, then just installed FreeBSD to a primary
>> partition, and set my boot manager to let me choose the OS.

> I had installed FreeBSD first, and then RedHat.  But, I couldn't get
> FreeBSD's BootEasy to boot into Linux.  Why, I have no idea.  Also, like
> you say later, FreeBSD can't see Linux's logical drives, and my entire
> Linux installation is in logical drives.  Maybe that's why...

If the kernel image is in a logical partision, I suppose it wouldn't
work. But you could create a small primary /boot partition and
leave the kernel images there (if you have a free primary partition).

Anyway, LILO and Grub can do that. (And it's easier than creating one
more partition!)

> Well anyways, I couldn't mail to freebsd-questions during that time, and
> so I had to resort to the NetBSD mailing list.  A person there did offer
> me helpful suggestion, although I haven't tried them out so far, and so
> can't say much.  The gist of it was that extended drives can be accessed
> as wd0s5 upwards (ie, primary hdd, slices 5 and upwards).  It seems we can
> even make disklabels in it.  But I really haven't tried ... :-(

Hmmm... It's worth a try.

> Could I have the URL from where you got GRUB, and also any URLs that have
> documentation/info abt it.  I had tried once long ago when I wanted to
> boot HURD, and that's it.

Grub's page is at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.en.html

But you can probably find some RPM... In Debian, I think it's already
packaged in the latest stable release. (It's in unstable, I'm sure)

> BTW, it case u don't have GRUB, you can always use LILO (supplied
> alongwith Linux).  Check out the manpages/other-docs for more info.

Something similar to what's used to boot Windows, I guess... (Ading
an entry like "other")

> Also, I must add: FreeBSD can't mount UFS (or FFS) partitions rw.  This
                    ^^^^^^^

Er... Linux, right? I think FreeBSD probably can mount UFS partitions
rw... But I could be wrong!  :-)))

> means, you can't write to any of FreeBSD's partitions.  So if you wan't to
> share data, you might consider making your home partition/slice ext2fs,
> and then mount it rw from both.

Also... I think in recent Linux kernels there';s an experimental
option in configuration that allows you to write to UFS. I'm using it,
and hd no problewms (yet)...
But you have to say "yes" to the first config quessstion (prompt for
experimental stuff or not?)

> Rakhesh

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil