Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:55:29 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?B?wWThbQ==?= Csongor <adam_csongor@mail.ru>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A FreeBSD User Reviews Mandrake. Let the flames flow.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:15:07 +0200
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> > O Must be able to do stuff while listening to mp3's off an smb
> >   share.
This is rather a question of your network conditions then your operating
system...

> > Package installation was a royal pain, as it was slow as, and in
> > grand linux fashion, insisted on crapping shit all over my
> > harddrive. The final install weighed in at around 2.5 gig, as the
> > installer did give me gnome and kde, and I did not make any efforts
> > to stop it.
>
> I haven't installed Mandrake Linux lately, but are you sure you had to
> install both KDE and Gnome?

With one easy mouse click you can get rid of the whole GNOME, KDE or
both. I have a full featured mdk installation (OpenOffice, Mozilla,
GNOME, + many additional packages in 1,1Gig... It is about the same size
with fbsd with the same software installed

> What's wrong with FreeBSD 4.X then?  Why are you trying to use Linux?
> Is FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE or 4.7-STABLE inadequate for your needs?  If
> yes, how?
I stick with Mdk for its ease of configuration. You urpmi apache e.g.,
move your files to /var/www/
type service apache start and voila... Of course later it is time to
check out the conf files... On the other hand I respect Fbsd very much,
used it from 4.2 till 4.6 paralel to Linux and am excitingly awaiting
5.0... I'll surely give it a try...

Greetings
Csongor