Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:49:24 +0900
From:      qhwt <qhwt@myrealbox.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic at boot in ffs_valloc

Hi.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 09:36:24PM +0200, Rasmus Skaarup wrote:

> I'm also suddenly having a panics - every 5 minutes actually, since my
> latest cvsup a few hours ago. They seem to be related to some ufs
> and ffs calls..
>
> I'm not able to read my core dumps for some reason (gdb says "kernel
> symbol 'cpuhead' not found.") and I don't have the time to scratch a
> backtrace down by hand just now.
>
> The panicstring is: "bremfree: bp 0xc77e8670 not locked"
>
> Sincerely,
> Rasmus Skaasrup
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Andrew R. Reiter wrote:
>
> > :I cvsup'd and built world+kernel a few hours ago and was happy to see
> > :KDE working again, but I got a spontaneous reboot while trying to track
> > :down a segfault in a mozilla build component.  I "boot -v"'ed and as
> > :soon as the login prompt came up I hit a panic.  I'm guessing the
> > :backgorund fsck had something to do with it.   I'll hand-copy the trace
> > :here; any debugging info needed while my box is stuck at the debugger,
> > :lemme know:
> >

> > I don't have the output to show people since I was trying to reproduce but
> > couldnt, but i got essentially the same panic, but it came only from a
> > syscall to open() that called ufs_create() -> ufs_makeinode ->
> > ffs_valloc() -> panic.
> >
> > I can try and reproduce (tho, mine occured when just running cscope) and
> > get a dump.

same here, and I can reproduce the panic by:
$ cd /tmp
$ for i in `jot 300 1`; do touch $i; done

this panics when $i reaches around 128 on my machine.
However, the next one doesn't:

$ mkdir /tmp/foo
$ cd /tmp/foo
$ for i in `jot 300 1`; do touch $i; done

I have a 256Mbytes of swap-backed /tmp configured in /etc/rc.local
as follows:
$ cat /etc/rc.local
mdmfs -p 1777 -s 256M md0 /tmp

According to a post on an anonymous BBS in Japan, malloc-backed /tmp
doesn't seem to trigger the panic.

Regards.