Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:27:38 +0200
From:      danny@i-p-d.nl
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vinum

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

I think it has something to do with the disklabeling, but I am not

sure.

I have FreeBSD 4.2

I will tell you what I have done:

I start a new FreeBSD install with 2 identical drives.

I setup the first drive as full use and bootable (+only FreeBSD)

I setup the second identically, but not bootable.

My labels are:

ad0:	/		2G

		/a		rest of disk

ad1:	swap	2G

		/b		rest of disk

I do a complete install with ports and linux binaries.

I restart and do:

# disklabel -e ad0

(I have to note that in /root/.cshrc I changed my default editor from
vi to ee, so  the alteration of the disklabel is done in ee)

At the bottom I change the name of only e: from 4.2BSD in vinum

(I leave a: as 4.2BSD)

When I do disklabel -e ad0 again, I see, that the numbers for fsize,
bsize and  bps/cpg have disappeared. Maybe this is what creates
the problem?

I do # disklabel -e ad1

At the bottom I change the name of only e: from 4.2BSD in vinum

I create the /etc/vinum.conf file as following:

drive drive1 device /dev/ad0s1e

drive drive2 device /dev/ad1s1e

 volume usr

  plex org concat

    sd length 9g drive drive1

  plex org concat

    sd length 9g drive drive2

 volume var

  plex org concat

    sd length 0 drive drive1

  plex org concat

    sd length 0 drive drive2

I start vinum

I do # create -f /etc/vinum.conf

I leave vinum (CTRL+D)

I do

# newfs -v /dev/vinum/usr

# newfs -v /dev/vinum/var

# mkdir /mnt/usr

# mkdir /mnt/var

# mount /dev/vinum/usr /mnt/usr

# mount /dev/vinum/var /mnt/var

 # tar cfv usr.tar usr
 # mv usr.tar /mnt
 # tar xfvp usr.tar

 # tar cfv var.tar var
 # mv var.tar /mnt

# ee /etc/fstab

I add:

/dev/vinum/usr		/mnt/usr 	ufs		rw		2

/dev/vinum/var		/mnt/var	ufs		rw		2

NOTE: I also tried /usr and /var in stead of /mnt/usr and /mnt/var
earlier with the  same result. NOTE: please tell me which is right:
/mnt/usr or /usr (I guess the  first)

I do:

# ee /etc/rc.conf

and add:

# start_vinum="YES"

After this I reboot and get the problem.

Thanx for your help!

<nofill>

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Danny Zwegers