Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:29:42 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calling nxge(4) users

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 01:09:27PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > The nxge(4) driver for the Neterion Xframe-I and Xframe-II 10GbE
> > adapters has obvious bugs (by inspection) and it doesn't appear the
> > company exists any more.  We'd like to see if there are any significant
> > users of this device and plan to remove it from FreeBSD-12 if not.
> >=20
> > -- Brooks
>=20
> Neterion has been acquired by exar.=20
> 	https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=3D1173009
>=20
> They have the datasheet for the Xframe-I here:
> 	https://www.exar.com/ds/xframedatasheet.pdf
>=20
> The cards appear to be readily avaliable on ebay.

Given that most of these cards appear to have been PCI-X and the product
failed in the market, I'm not finding that compelling.  One could buy
a Chelsio or Intel card for a similar price and have a supported driver.

Unless someone has a significant deployment of these cards that will run
past the EOL of FreeBSD 11 (2021) this driver is a net negative.

-- Brooks

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc--