Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:11:19 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail / alias issue

On 2006-03-08 12:04, Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>> So, to the question part... how can I setup an alias to either
>>> ignore the bounce-back it gets, (ie to blindly send the bounce
>>> itself), or is it possible to specify a different from address on
>>> our server's end so when/if the other receiving server doesn't have
>>> a valid from address it just drops the reply on our end, like so:
>>

>>I prefer using a different error code that is not a "permanent error".
>>
>>A "transient error" forces the SMTP relay of the spammers to keep the
>>message for some period in their queue and try again later.  There's no
>>need for you to keep the message in your own mail queue :)
>
> True, but eventually it will fail from their queue as well and return the
> message - the key question there I guess then is if the message returns to
> us or to their postmaster then?

Their postmaster, AFAIK.

> Also, any suggestions as to the 'proper' transient error code? A 451 will
> force a retry/wait condition will it not?

Well,  4.2.2 and 4.4.5 are also nice:

[ http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1893.txt ]

    X.2.2   Mailbox full

    The mailbox is full because the user has exceeded a per-mailbox
    administrative quota or physical capacity.  The general semantics
    implies that the recipient can delete messages to make more space
    available.  This code should be used as a persistent transient
    failure.

    X.4.5   Mail system congestion

    The mail system was unable to deliver the message because the mail
    system was congested. This is useful only as a persistent transient
    error.