Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 1995 17:16:16 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New PCI cards and FreeBSD

Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com> writes:
>Hey, another JPL'er using FreeBSD!  Welcome aboard!

I'd love to get most of JPL using this stuff. It's great, and secure
(compared to SunOS) too.

>The EtherExpress 16 is supported with a line like:
>
>device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 32768 vector
>ixintr

But that's for ISA only. PCI stuff is all wipe your butt for you auto
configured, which is good if it works.

>You didn't mention if these devices were recognized by the GENERIC
>kernel.  Are they?

I thought that was the only kernel on the CDROM?

>By the way, the only PCI-specific drivers I see, are
>the NCR 53C810/53C825 SCSI controller (which I've got in a Micron 100MHz
>Pentium here, works great!) and the DEC DC21040 PCI Ethernet adapter.
>All other cards are supported through the PCI->ISA bridge,
apparently.

Yes, how do you use this?
------
Dave Hayes -- Institutional NETworks - Section 394 -- JPL/NASA - Pasadena CA
dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov         ...usc!elroy!dxh

Nasrudin was standing outside the window of a beautiful girl,  playing the
guitar and serenading her. Someone asked: "Why do you not ask her to marry
you?"  Nasrudin replied: "I have thought of that; but, if she agreed, what
would I do with my evenings?"