Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:16:43 +0400
From:      "Alexander Churanov" <alexanderchuranov@gmail.com>
To:        "Thomas Dickey" <dickey@radix.net>
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

Thomas,

2008/8/23, Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>:

> ...but it does help if the terminal can display the result.
>
> ...before IUTF8, there was some consensus for a few years that it was
> up to the application to do proper backspacing.  (ncurses does this anyway,
> but apparently shell interpreters such as bash need extra assistance).

In brief my idea is that system and applications use UTF-8 and syscond just
maps UTF-8 to 256 (or whatever) characters it is actually able to display.
This is very similar to current screenmaps, but new maps will just describe
what 256 characters of the whole unicode range can be actually displayed.
Or, in other words, always map from UTF-8.

Then, since syscons is going to be unicode-aware, it can do proper
backspacing if it is given a sequence of 4 bytes where first 3 describe a
single code point and fourth is a backslash. In my opinion, this solution
would mostly keep current applications running correctly and introduce the
ability to use UTF-8 IO.

Alexander Churanov