Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Smart UPS Tools Trouble

I have been trying to get my PC to listen to my APC Back-UPS 500. I've
looked at upsd and upsmond in the ports, but they are for Smart-UPSes,
not Back-UPSes. I have bkpupsd from the ports installed, but it does
not seem to work. It runs just fine, but if I pull the plug on the
UPS, it does not seem to notice there is a problem (although I clearly
hear the UPS's annoying beeps).

I looked in the mail archives and someone recommended Smart UPS Tools
from www.exploits.org. I grabbed the tarball and have been trying to
get this to work. No luck there either. The first thing I found was
that the program drops root priviliges before openning the serial
port. I added some getuid() statements to help me debug, and this is
what I was getting,

# /usr/local/ups/bin/backupspro /dev/cuaa0
Smart UPS Tools - Back-UPS Pro driver 1.10 (0.41.4)
Unable to open (1) /dev/cuaa0: Permission denied
uid: 65534, euid: 65534

This is with /dev/cuaa0 set to the FreeBSD default of,

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Oct  1 23:08 /dev/cuaa0

Just to see if things would work, I changed the permissions to 666,
but still got stuck with,

# /usr/local/ups/bin/backupspro /dev/cuaa0
Smart UPS Tools - Back-UPS Pro driver 1.10 (0.41.4)
/dev/cuaa0 is locked by another process

But using fstat, I can't find any processes using that device.

I believe people have gotten these packages, bkpupsd and Smart UPS
Tools, to work with FreeBSD. What might I be overlooking? For
reference, the hardware/software I am using is,

FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE

Serial Port:
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A