Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:13:27 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@pp.inet.fi>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenWatcom (was Re: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!))

Reko Turja wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote
> > Oversimplified:
> >
> > 1) Similar to GPL, but...
>
> License matters aside - I guess that their interest in BSD's isn't a bad
> thing in any case. At least my point was the interest from their part.
> Watcom is/was a nice compiler anyway ;)

We use Watcom at Novell, for developing NLMs.  I believe it was
also the default compiler on a number of odd systems that people
have probably never heard of before, unless they went to school
in the late 1970's, early 1980's.

I have a lot of respect for the Watcom technology.

But they have removed most of the utility, by removing, rather
than getting rights grants, all of the Novell and other code
copyright other companies (e.g. in order to do compilations for
these target systems, you now have to come up with your own
header files).

I understand this; they are attempting to leverage Open Source
dynamics, in order to extend the product lifecycle of a product
whose marginal value is about to be exceeded by the cost of
maintenance, and they are attempting to leverage the Open Source
branding in order to be able to shift costs from corporate
communications into maintenance for the product, in order to
extend its value as a property.

This all makes sense... and they are smart enough that they did
not spend more than six months in the foot-shooting that Mozilla
engaged in by shipping non-working code: the code works, which
removes the incredible barrier to participation that Mozilla was
facing wh it was first released: Mozilla's subsidy-cycle was a
good three years plus (I have not seen significant activity on
the FreeBSD Mozilla list, to which I'm subscribed, for a very
long time).

Still, it seems to me that they don't understand licensing, and
that the issue of participation in Mozilla was not that the
license wasn't GPL-like enough, it was that the code did not
compile to anthing that would run.  Like the original Net/1 and
Net/2 releases of BSD UNIX, you got an wet suit with arms, legs,
and a head in it (maybe the left hand was missing, too), and SCUBA
tanks, when what you were expecting to get was a living diver, not
body parts.  It took Bill Jolitz making the thing into a bootable
system before people started coding on it.

A good key to the motivation for participation comes from the
damping effect that the AT&T lawsuits and cease-and-desist orders
hasd on the various BSD-derived projects.  Instead of noting that
it happened, ask yourself why a cease-and-desist order was at all
meaningful to people who ESR and RMS would have us believe were
coding for themselves?

It seems to me that the "competition" for talent that Watcom is
facing is GCC, and that in order to get people working on their
code for them, they need to ensure that their pool of available
talent is a superset of the talent available for GCC.  And that,
sir, is an artifact of the license they are using.

Consider it from this point of view: how many people who now work
on GCC will be willing to change horses -- effectively, admit that
they backed the wrong project -- and learn an entirely new code
base, in order to be able to continue to do what they are already
doing in the context of their work on GCC?  I submit that this
will be a small number of people... if any.  If people do jump
ship, it will be in order to work on something new, or to establis
themselves as prinicple contributors (if those roles are not already
gone, to Watcom employees, and therefore unavailable).

If they are truly interested in BSD as a market, then they have to
provide some value, other than "just like GCC, except you lose
patent rights, and we can change the license on your code out from
under you!".

If they were to change the license, such that:

1)	It were more similar to the MPL

2)	It did not have the section 2.1 limitation on R&D and
	personal use and/or it was more clear that section 2.2
	in fact included the subelements of 2.1, rather than
	2.1, itself

3)	The license "update" was not mandatory for third party
	supplied code in a derivative work

It would be much more attractive, at least to me.

The ultimate question is "what changes would it take to get `The
Brett Glass Seal Of Approval'", I think, since anything that could
include that would include all points in between.

As it is, they are attempting to compete head-to-head with GCC,
for the market that GCC has already captured.  I don't expect that
they will be successful in this.

-- Terry