Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:45:16 +0100
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= M. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fandi=F1o?=" <freebsd@fadesa.es>
To:        Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor audio quality with festival and hw.snd.pcm0.vchans > 0

Nicholas Esborn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working with the new vchans on a Toshiba Satellite laptop:
>
> pcm0: <OPL3-SAx (YMF719)> at port 0x530-0x537,0x538-0x539,0xf8c-0xf94,0xe0e irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xc113 on isa0
>
> If I turn hw.snd.pcm0.vchans up to 1 or more, festival sounds crackly
> and terrible, but oddly, mpg123 sounded fine.  I'm using the festival
> freebsd16audio method.  I also tried sun16audio (which didn't work at
> all) and sunaudio (which also sounded terrible).
>
> Does anyone have any insight to offer?

yes, I'm having the same problem with mplayer and virtual audio channels.

When I activate them and I launch mplayer the sound has a nasty distortion
in high frequencies, but xmms and friends works fine.

to reproduce the problem just play a divx or a dvd movie:
# sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
# mplayer -ao oss:/dev/dsp0.1 /cdrom/*avi

I found a message of Arpi (mplayer main developer) which can explain
this behaviour:

xmms and other audio-only players don't use syncronization functions of teh
audio driver - mplayer does. if it's broken, mplayer won't work, playback
will be jerky.

you can also try -autosync 30
(it will smooth/emulate the syncro stuff of oss)

or -ao sdl

or use alsa, it's much better than kernel's oss drivers

or use oss commercial, it's even better than alsa - but costs money :(
(but at least is compliant with the oss specs/standard, unlike teh kernel's
broken-to-hell oss drivers...)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team