Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:17:40 -0500
From:      Marc Giannoni <marcg@fred.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3/3.4-Release system clock is racing!

I've tried everything! (I think)
This thing gains about 10 min and hour!

The system comes from a "cheap bytes" 3.3-Release CD,
and I've updated the kernel from "cvsup" sources (stable-supfile)

NTPDATE works great....but
NTP wont' sync the clock....also
A new kernel (sources cvsupped this week) did not help...(amazing!)
Even "adjtime" failed to slow it down....hmmm

I've got NTP going on other machines on the network so access to peers is
available.  I compiled NTP with DEBUG and monitored it's progress...the peers
never make it past "clock_select()"

sysctl kern.clockrate:
kern.clockrate: { hz = 100, tick = 10000, tickadj = 5, profhz = 1024, stathz = 128 }

I had to write a small program to tweak "kern.clockrate" with "adjtime()", but
all this managed to do was slow down the alarm clock.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

struct timeval delta[1];
struct timeval oldelta[1];

main (char *argc, char **argv)	/* program to tweak kern.clockrate */
{
	long off;
	int err;

	sscanf (*argv, "%l", &off);
	delta->tv_sec = off;
	err = adjtime(delta, oldelta);
	printf ("adjtime: %d\n\n", err);
}

#!/bin/csh			/* script to check alarm clock */
while (1)
echo "tick tock"			/* the "tick tock" slowed */
sleep 1				/* but the system clock didnt !?! */
end

--
This communication is exclusively reserved for the intended recipient.
All parties not explicitly named as recipients, including Law