Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:22:37 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386 src/sys/i386/eisa 3c5x9.c aha1742.c aic7770.c bt74x.c eisaconf.c eisaconf.h if_fea.c if_vx_eisa.c src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c ...

In message <199709221630.KAA01072@rocky.mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:

>Stating that it takes O(n) times to add/remove a callout and calling it
>a win when it takes O(n) time to process a tick isn't a win in my book.
>
>PHK answered by saying that on his laptop, it seemed to be a wash, so
>that's encouraging, but it seems to have the ability to make the system
>slower.  (I'd like to see how PHK compared the two approaches.)

elapsed time for make world, including careful scrutinizing the basic-
block profiling output.

This is the kind of stuff my new "rover" setup is meant to be able to
measure.  I have a standard deviation of less than 1 part in thousand
for real + user time, and less than 1 in 300 for system time, so
very small changes can be measured rather reliably.

Anyway, it shouldn't be to hard to make either of the old and the new
implementations available under a compile option, the new calling
API is a a superset of the old, isn't it ?