Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:04:09
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UCL's Universal Transcoding Gateway

>Sure would be nice to be able to avoid the overhead of a tunnel
>for those of us with a measly ISDN dialup...

This is a common misconception.  In fact, "mrouted" tunnels work OK even
over a 28.8 kbps modem connection (provided that you use the most recent
version of "mrouted" (v2.9, I think), which retransmits prunes).

(Another form of tunneling you could try is UMTP (i.e., UDP-level)
tunneling (e.g., "multikit"<->"liveGate"), but if you're running Unix on
your client machine, you might as well 'do the right thing' and run
"mrouted" instead.)

	Ross.