Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 23:24:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Tom Legg <tjlegg@shore.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor rc.network bug for 4.0 and ipfw

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

>Tom Legg wrote:
>
>> In fact the current situation renders the rc.conf flag for
>> firewall_enable mute. You might as well eliminate the flag and have
>> /etc/rc.network check whether net.inet.ip.fw.enable=1 and go from
>> there.
>
>	I think you mean moot. :) In any case, the current set of options
>allows a user to specify the settings in rc.conf without compiling the
>ipfw stuff into the kernel.
>
>Doug

No, actually mute is appropriate.  firewall_enable is not allowed to
express itself if ipfw is compiled in.  Even when firewall_enable is
explicitly set to "NO", as it is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, it's voice is
not heard and net.inet.ip.fw.enable is set true.  Not saying anything
about the merits of either default setup, just that mute is an
appropriate adjective.