Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:00:09 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What happens in this case?

What will actually happen if I have a 140MB swap partition setup as
my dump device, but I have 320MB of physical memory, and then a panic
occurs?

Will the kernel see that it only has 140MB of disk to work with and
then just write that much and then give up?  Or will it refuse to
write anything?  Or (worse) will it just keep on writing stuff even
past the end of the partition in question (thus overwriting the data
in OTHER partitions)?

And anyway, why the heck does the dumpdev have to big as big as
physical memory?  I mean hay!  What if I have 320MB physical, but only
100MB of that is actually allocated or in use at the moment of the
panic?  Then I should only need a 100MB swap partition to hold the
panic dump, right?