Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2020 13:58:29 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Makin' backups -- questions

In message <6ba3f007-3045-99be-5d35-10c75b37ab17@holgerdanske.com>,
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

>>> 2.  I use MBR partitioning, to avoid problems with the GPT backup
>>> partition table when the source and target device sizes differ.

I should perhaps have mentioned earlier that due to the fact that I
use rsync to make my backups, if the source and target partitions are
not exactly identical in size, this generally causes no problems,
assuming of course that the output partition is big enough to hold
copies of all of the -files- on the input partition.

>> You're going to have to explain that one to me.  What are these "problems"
>> of what you speak?
>
>See "Secondary GPT":
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

I know, in general, what GPT is and I am aware that there is a second
backup copy of that partition table.  I am not aware of any specific
"problems" this creates, in actual or common practice, relative to MBR.

I converted all of my own drives to GPT some time ago now, and I have
never experienced any special issues or problems as a result of that
change-over.  So I am still puzzled by your assertion that GPT can be
in some way(s) more problematic that MBR.

Regards,
rfg