Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:32:56 -0800
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttmcl.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disklabel question

Greetings,

How can I disklabel a partition within a virtual harddrive created using =
vn(4)?  I tried the following steps but they didn't work quite right.

truncate -s 16M hd.img
vnconfig -c -s labels hd.img
fdisk -I vn0
disklabel -w -B vn0s1 auto

The fourth step failed with EINVAL on ioctl(DIOCGDINFO).

I'm aware that there are alternative ways, such as putting a temporary =
entry in /etc/disktab and using it instead of `auto' keyword, or =
synthesizing a disklabel from scratch and applying it using disklabel =
-R.  But none of these methods seems suitable for automated scripts, =
which I need.

Could anyone shed a light on this?

Thank you in advance,

Eugene Kim