Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:02:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        culverk <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VMware: No DGA hardware accelleration

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Kenneth Culver wrote:

> On Monday 01 October 2001 06:05 am, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When running VMware on my FreeBSD 4.4-S, XFree86 4.0.1_6 system, I get the
> > following message:
> >
> >    Your X server does not support XFree86 DGA accelerated graphics on your
> >    display hardware.  Full-screen SVGA mode will not have acceleration.
> >
> >    You may be able to download an updated XFree86 server at
> >    "http://www.vmware.com/xfree86".
> >
> > I removed the line from my XF86Config file that disables DGA, so DGA
> > support is enabled, but somehow I do not have optimal support.
> >
> > What does this message mean, exactly, and how do I to improve this?
> >

> Most likely you just need to update your X server. Even if you have it
> enabled in your config file, your card might not support it in that version
> of XFree86.

Not convinced; this worked for me under XF 3.*. Looking at the release
notes for 4.1.0 (and 4.0.x which was the first time this stopped working
for me) there's mention of DGA v. 2.0 being supported. At the time
(months ago) I assumed vmware was explicitly checking for v.1 and not
finding it.

Pure supposition -
jan

...You're visualising the _duck_ taped over my _mouth_..?