Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:52:07 -0400
From:      Gerard <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Re: sed/awk, instead of Perl

--Sig_/eC+DiSxLuv0dhvGpUehkgT2

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:49:17 +0200 (CEST)
Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> > To put it plainly, can anyone, if it's possible, provide a single
> > line sed/awk pipeline that can:
> >=20
> > - read email addresses from a file in the format:
> >=20
> > user.name TAB domain.tld
> >=20
> > - convert it to:
> >=20
> > user_name@example.com =20
>
>With awk(1):
>
>    awk '{sub(/\./, "_", $1); print $1 "@example.com"}'
>
>With sed(1) (you have to replace "^T" with a real tab!):
>
>    sed 's/^\(.*\)\.\(.*\)^T.*/\1_\2@example.com/'
>
>With tr(1) + sed(1):
>
>    tr '.\t' '_@' | sed 's/@.*/@example.com/'
>
>Personally I like the last solution best, because it's
>short and easy to understand.
>
>BTW, all of the above command read from stdin and write
>to stdout, so you can use shell redirection to read from
>a file and/or write to a file.  There is no need to use
>cat(1).

It seems like we have all had fun picking on the use of 'cat'. I would
like to close this discussion with something I learned in school long
ago.

A big cat is a Lion, and a Lion is a dangerous animal. However, a
little cat is a pussy, and a little pussy never hurt anyone.

--=20
Gerard
gerard@seibercom.net

Technological progress has merely provided us
with more efficient means for going backwards.

	Aldous Huxley