Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:20:11 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
Cc:        zipzippy@sonic.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here's a new(er) one

* De: Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org> [ Data: 2002-07-13 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: Here's a new(er) one ]
> On 13 Jul, zipzippy wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:28:43PM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> >
> >> What was the original panic message, the one where uma_core.c prints the
> >> name of the lock being held and where it was locked?
> >
> > Any way to determine this post-mortem?  I woke up and the system had
> > rebooted. Unfortunately the power supply also decided to start smoking, so
> > the box is down until I the new one arrives.  But I still have the kernel
> > and core dump.
>
> It should be in the kernel message buffer.  It looks like dmesg(8) has
> the options that would allow it to be pointed at a core file to print
> that out.

Anything which uses kvm should accept the -N <nlistf> option, which points
to a file to take the symbol name list from (for lookup of a datum based on
a symbol name), and a -M <memf> option, which points to a file to take core
memory from, such as a core memory dump, or system-in-a-memory-image
setup.

Just for the sake of verbosity and actually pointing to something one
can do, rather than expecting someone to figure out that those flags
exist, etc.

Here's an example:
	<utility> -M kernel.core -N /obj/sys/vmunix.build/kernel.debug

Where utility::=ps,w,uptime,dmesg,netstat,...
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org