Date:      20 Apr 2000 09:46:54 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just got my DSL today...AARGH!!

R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org> writes:

> I just spent about 2 1/2 hours in windows trying to get the card to work
> using downloaded drivers.  I've concluded that tomorrow I'll go buy a well
> known, well supported one.  Any recommendations?  Preferrably cheap.

The funny part is that an el-cheapo ISA NE2000 card is all you would
need for a DSL connection. When I had my DSL, the downstream was 1Mbs,
while an ne2k allows for 10Mbs. My advice is to buy one of those with
drivers and documentation, and you will get it working in no time.

If you want to get something better, Intel EtherExpress 100+ is
reportedly one of the best cards on the market. D-Link DFE-530TX (not
TX+) is also a good deal for a 100Mbps. It uses via-rhine chip and is
*very* cheap.

But, again, for what you doing really any working card would
do. RealTek 8139 - chip based cards are very cheap, and are a
no-brainer to configure, since they are PCI cards.

Check the manpages for fxp, vr, and rl. ;^)
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.