Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:13:51 -0500
From:      "Netsmart" <network1@smartweb.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Printer

To add and clear up what I have previously written below.....

First I have solved the problem with file piling up in the que.  I didn't
have lpd enabled in the rc.conf file.  Secondly  now that the printer is
responding to the *lpr file-name* the following occurs  in the following
order

I issue the *lpr file-name* command
on the first page it will either print one line at the beginning of the page
and leave the rest blank  OR  it will print the first line of the page with
the staircase effect and again leave the rest of the page blank.

in either case above after it prints the first line whether staircase effect
or a straight line,  it will never print another character unless I turn the
printer off  then  back on again.  However, while it wont print anything  it
continues to spit out whatever amount of blank sheets of paper that the
document calls for.... just no printing.

I am using fbsd-3.0-release  With an [HP deskjet 600c printer] hooked up via
my lpt0 in fbsd.

PS  This printer does work fine in win 95 and I most likely will have to
share it with a win 95 box for some time now.  So I can't change any dip
switches in it at this time.

Any remedy?