Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:24:16 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        scuba@centroin.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Group size

In the last episode (Aug 11), scuba@centroin.com.br said:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 scuba@centroin.com.br wrote:
> |
> |	I'm in troble here. Is there any limit to the size o each group
> |	in /etc/groups. I'm moving from a BSDI machine where I used to
> |	authenticate some services based on groups, but Freebsd 5.4
> |	seem to be limiting it to arround 1300 characters. Sorry if
> |	it's a known issue but it's urgent.
> |
> 	It seem that this thread is talking about the same problem, but
> there were no reply.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2003-May/000889.html

I can't see anything in /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/getgrent.c that would
limit the number of characters in /etc/group.  The code uses the
fgetln() function which has no maximum size limits, and previous code
looks like it had a hardcoded 256KB character limit on each line.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com