Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:34:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        =?Windows-1252?Q?Ari_Sigur=F0sson?= <bsd@hrappur.solver.is>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messages on screen

On 30-Mar-00 Ari Siguršsson wrote:
> sorry if I forgot to mention that I'm not rather new to unix
> what is vty and HUP signal?

If you do a 'alt-F2' you select another virtual terminal, another vty
(checkout /etc/ttys)

> another question,  how do I change group so I don't get
>
> "su : you are not in the correct group to su root."

Only user belonging to the 'wheel' group can su to root. You can put yourself
into wheel by editing /etc/group:

wheel:*:0:root,mj   <-- this makes me (mj) belong to wheel!
theredaemon:*:1:daemon
kmem:*:2:root
sys:*:3:root
tty:*:4:root
operator:*:5:root
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
etc

A HUP is a HangUP signal you can send to a process (=running program) with the
kill commmand

kill -HUP 1164

Kills process number 1164 (PID=Process ID). Use top or 'ps -ax' to list
processes.

And above all: Have FUN!
/
Michael Josefsson, MSEE