Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 14:10:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        data@ds9.abac.com (Bryce Newall)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote X programs

Hi,

> xload: can't open kvm files <a bunch of upper ASCII garbage here>
>
> Any ideas what's going on here?  Muchos thankyous!

This could be a permission problem. Does this happen when you start
xload as root?

On my system xload is owned by root and the set-user-id flag is
turned on.
It's better to put it in group `kmem' (chgrp /usr/X11R6/bin/xload kmem)
and turn on the set-group-id flag (chmod g+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xload).

This way ps(1) and top(1) is made to access /dev/kmem and it's
recommended in the `bugs' section of xload's manual page.

Wolfgang