Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 08:54:43 -0400
From:      Paul Gregg <pdgregg@ww-interlink.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd and more

I recently reinstalled 2.2.6 release had been running 2.2.2
release. I have two ide hard drives.
a 230 meg and a 1.2 gig. I created a large root file and
swap file 100 meg each with /usr on the 1 gig drive. I am
getting lots of swap file errors... unable to clean among
others.

Installed msql 2.0.4.1 using the their installation
instructions. I only seem to be able to run the msql
commands from the tkdesk file browser. Attempting to run
from an xterm window results in command not found. daemon
starts ok like this, but I dont see any way to do command
line arguements like msqladmin version, or msqladmin
createdb. Also trying to install apache with php and it
halts because it doesnt see msql either.

I would like to set this up as a gateway between a our house
net of registered ip addresses and an inhouse net using the
unregistered adresses in the 192.168.1.1 range. was hoping
to make
this a sort of an online project as others seem to be trying
to do similar things.

The machine is a 486-133 currently with 32 meg ram. I have a
3com 3c503 and a 3c509. I havent been able to get the 3c509
card to work at the 100 meg speed, it seems to recieve ok
but
will not transmit on the 100 meg hub. though this is not a
problem at the moment. both cards work at the 10 meg speed.
I would like to set it up with minimal firewall protection.

I had  tried this following the directions in the book  when
I had 2.2.2 installed, but I dont think I had cards all
working then.

In general I have been amazed at how well some things have
gone and also spent a lot of time trying to cross some small
hurdles. one last thing, is it possible to mount cdrom and
be able to open the cdrom while its still mounted.

thanks for your help and work

Paul