Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:39:36 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Sheldon Hearn' <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Hayden Katzenellenbogen <hayden@tudogs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: .bashrc

Hayden,
I'm not quite sure why it works for root, but this is working as designed.
Take a look at the bash man page and the mailing list archives for more
info.

Basically the ~/.bashrc is only sourced when a new instance of bash in
executed.  When it is a login shell it looks for ~/.profile or (i belive)
~/.bash_profile.  This behavior is completely baffling to me but that is how
it is desinged.

The best thing to do is to put a line in either the ~/.profile,
~/.bash_profile, or maybe even /etc/profile that sources ~/.bashrc if it
exists.

-Chris