Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron and daylight savings

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Graeme Tait wrote:

> What happens if my machine is running local time with daylight savings
> adjustments, and I schedule jobs between 2 and 3 am (or whenever the
> transitions occurs)?
>
> Do they get skipped in the daylight savings transition in Spring and run
> twice in the Fall?

	Yes, Sheldon pointed you to the correct info on that.

> I looked in the handbook and mailing list archives, but found nothing
> except for a couple of posts in 1995, with the statement that this issue
> was under discussion.

	I'm not sure where you searched (what mailing lists) but there
were many many posts about this in the past. Try searching -hackers.

> I notice that /etc/crontab schedules daily maintenance for 2 am. The
> issue raised in the 1995 post was that these activites were skipped in
> the April forward clock adjustment.

	One of the things implemented recently was to change that time to
1:59am, which works in the vast majority of cases. You should probably
take a look at upgrading your system to a recent -Stable release.

good luck,

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."