Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:40:03 +0100
From:      Matt Fleming <matt@console-pimps.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resuming old EFI project

On Sun, 14 Sep, at 09:19:50PM, Ed Maste wrote:

> The current code does work on MacBook Airs, with a caveat that the
> loader is not displayed (we don't force a switch to text mode).  There
> is a patch in progress to address this which should arrive shortly.
>
> There is an additional issue that affects MacBook Pros which remains
> to be diagnosed: the system appears to hang immediately after the
> loader transfers control to the new kernel.

Hey guys, I'm the EFI maintainer for the Linux kernel. One of the things
that we do in the EFI boot stub is to search for GOP devices that also
have the EFI Console Out protocol bound to them, since we've seen
machines with multiple GOP devices and not all devices are actually
backed by hardware.

See here for the relevant code,

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/mfleming/efi.git/commit/arch/x86/boot/compressed/eboot.c?id=38cb5ef4473c6f510fae3a00bdac3acd550e3796

This could be related to the problem you're seeing.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center