Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:55:11 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: And Here I Thought buildworld/makeworld Was IO Bound

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:
> For some years now, I have been doing nightly builds of -STABLE
> on an old Pentium D machine with 2G of memory.  Buildworld + 2
> different kernels was taking in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 hours or so
> to run.
>
> I then upgraded the Mobo/CPU to a Haswell Quadcore I5-4570 and, sure
> enough, the build time for all the above came down to 30-35 mins or so.
>
> "So", says I, "I'll bet a faster drive would help considering all the
> scribbling to the disk the compilers and makes do".  So, I upgdared to
> a Kingston SSD Now 300, 120G hard drive and he time to do the above
> went down to .... wait, it's still about 30-35 mins ????
>
> So, I've tried fiddling with different values for -j on the make
> command line to little avail.  Well, -j8 and -j16 show no real
> difference here.
>
> So is the bounding function here actually CPU not IO?  Am I missing
> something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> P.S.  Trying now with no -j arg on make invocation.

Does poudriere buildworld on tmpfs if you have USE_TMPFS=all? That
might give you an absolute baseline.

I was astounded how fast poudriere builds ports, if you build ports
from source and haven't switched your ports upgrade routine to build
packages with poudriere, well, you're really missing out.

Cheers

Tom