Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:12:42 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
To:        Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br>
Cc:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi OS installation

On 24 Aug 2000, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> > Well anyways, I couldn't mail to freebsd-questions during that time, and
> > so I had to resort to the NetBSD mailing list.  A person there did offer
> > me helpful suggestion, although I haven't tried them out so far, and so
> > can't say much.  The gist of it was that extended drives can be accessed
> > as wd0s5 upwards (ie, primary hdd, slices 5 and upwards).  It seems we can
> > even make disklabels in it.  But I really haven't tried ... :-(
>
> Hmmm... It's worth a try.

Definitely.  Do write in your results.

> > Could I have the URL from where you got GRUB, and also any URLs that have
> > documentation/info abt it.  I had tried once long ago when I wanted to
> > boot HURD, and that's it.
>
> Grub's page is at:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.en.html
>
> But you can probably find some RPM... In Debian, I think it's already
> packaged in the latest stable release. (It's in unstable, I'm sure)

Is GRUB available only for Linux, or are there versions for
(Free|Net|Open)BSD also ?  I haven't checked the homepage - just asking.

> > BTW, it case u don't have GRUB, you can always use LILO (supplied
> > alongwith Linux).  Check out the manpages/other-docs for more info.
>
> Something similar to what's used to boot Windows, I guess... (Ading
> an entry like "other")

Yes.

> > Also, I must add: FreeBSD can't mount UFS (or FFS) partitions rw.  This
>                     ^^^^^^^
>
> Er... Linux, right? I think FreeBSD probably can mount UFS partitions
> rw... But I could be wrong!  :-)))

Aaaw, c'mon.  :-)

> > means, you can't write to any of FreeBSD's partitions.  So if you wan't to
> > share data, you might consider making your home partition/slice ext2fs,
> > and then mount it rw from both.
>
> Also... I think in recent Linux kernels there';s an experimental
> option in configuration that allows you to write to UFS. I'm using it,
> and hd no problewms (yet)...
> But you have to say "yes" to the first config quessstion (prompt for
> experimental stuff or not?)

I too have heard of an experimental option.  Something called U2FS or
something.  Seems to let you mount ffs partitions rw.  I didn't wan't to
risk my data by using experimental stuff, and so haven't tried it out so
far.  I think it is also available at freshmeat.net.

Rakhesh