Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:48:47 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

In message <200003230421.UAA12207@kithrup.com> Sean Eric Fagan writes:
: First, it doesn't notice when I remove the pcmcia card.  Something is broken
: here.

Yes.  You can use polling mode by removing irq XX from the config line
in your kernel.  Also, the pcic parts in most laptops don't share irqs
with other devices (there are some pci exceptions, but that usually
isn't the problem) and laptops tend to have a lot of devices built
into them.

: Second, it takes longer to boot these days.  When combined with the above, it
: makes it difficult to test changes to pccard.conf.

You'll not fix the above problem by playing with pccard.conf.  It is
almost certainly that the irq line that you've configured the pcic to
is a bad one to use.

: The main problem I was having, I still assume is due to 4.0, but I'm going to
: try something else, now that I am home.  It's _possible_ that it was one of
: the ethernet switches at work, or someone futzing with the wires with me not
: being aware of it, or the 3.4 system with the fxp0 card that I was trying to
: copy stuff from.  We'll see -- any information I find out will be quickly
: passed along :).

I agree that it likely is the cause.

Your first post said that you coudln't get the network card to have
any speed at all.  Is that still the case?

Warner