Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:45:57 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, FreeBSD ports list <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/33777: samba WITH_CUPS pulls in cups meta-port, not    cups-base

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:41:07AM -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > On Friday 11 January 2002 02:10, you wrote:
> > > I think this is a mistake.  Samba needs the CUPS printing binaries to
> > > do printing.  When you configure Samba for CUPS printing, it
> > > automatically sets the printing variables to point to the CUPS lp
> > >

> > I think you are right.  Although, that being the case, WTF is it linking
> > against libcups?
> >
> > Well, I guess my change needs to be backed out pending investigation of
> how
> > and why this samba + cups printing works.
> >
> > Damn. (Problem is, anything that can pull in cups-lpr gets somebody tic=
ked
> > off 'cause it messes up their printing. Oh well...)
> >
>=20
> As soon as someone can tell me it works or it doesn't instead of "I think=
",
> I'll be glad to change this ot leave it alone for good.  I guess not that
> many people use CUPS.

I really don't understand why Samba needs Cups. I've been running 2.1.x
& 2.2 at home for printing for ages, using the base system tools.
Having been bitten by the unfortunate installation of 'lpr' by CUPS before
(through KDE), I'd really like the samba port *not* to install CUPS binarie=
s,
it's a major violation of POLA on a default FreeBSD setup.

We have WITH_XXX options for a lot of ports. I think it wouldn't be too har=
d to
add one for CUPS support. Then we can even add a samba-cups slave port so t=
hat
people can install that package if they are going to use CUPS anyway.

Just my EUR 0.02.

--Stijn

--=20
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix
system)."
		-- Mike Meyer, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
			in message <15252.28617.61423.224978@guru.mired.org>

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24