Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 16:22:35 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: data corruption with current (maybe sis chipset related?)

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 04:05:29PM +0200, Heiko Schaefer wrote:

> > > Try this in your kernel config:
> > >
> > > options		DISABLE_PSE
> > > options		DISABLE_PG_G
>
> ok. i have done my copying and checksumming orgy with these options in the
> kernel - and it seems that i do not get any corruption anymore.
> i will re-run my test once again now, just to be safe.
>
> after that: does it make sense to single out which of the two options is
> the relevant one ?

No.

> i'm also clueless what exactly these options do, and what exactly we've
> ruled out now. could the lack of data-corruption just be some side-effect?

They prevent the usage of 4M pages. It's a CPU bug that will cause data
corruption if enabled.

Terry Lambert (at least) knows the details. Search the -current archives
for the discussions about it.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/    New Projects Group/TTM