Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:28:49 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED --> Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

In message <200003260406.VAA04621@freeway.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: Every time Microsoft and the PC industry have tried to remove the
: responsibility and control from the users (EISA--no jumpers,
: Plug-n-Pray--no config program), they've generally made things worse.

So you're saying that pci was a bad idea?

: each time) to see what makes the NIC run again?  How many of you
: have purchased a shiny new NIC, and then had to go find a DOS
: machine you could open up so you could find out how the card was
: configured?

None since I started buying pci nic cards :-).

: Bah!  This, to me, isn't progress.

Yes.  All those nasty problems with PCI cards sure isn't progress :-)

Joking aside.  To be honest, I've had fewer problems with the ISA Plug
and Play cards as more and more of the drivers have been converted to
grok PnP.  I've had to properly configure the PnP BIOS settings when
I've mixed non-PnP and PnP cards.

Warner