Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:14:25 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot/kernel.conf help

> I have been messing around with FreeBSD on my computer for quite a bit in
> the last week or so and have many times looked for info on exactly what
> the /boot/kernel.conf file does. I looked in the FAQ's, the Handbook, the
> Complete FreeBSD and even looked for man pages. Nothing. Is there any info
> on this file and how it works?  (syntax, what they mean, etc).
>        Things seem to work OK without my changing it, but my system seems
> to hang for a while during boot up (possibly searching for non-existent
> devices?)

the /boot/kernel.conf file is used to contain commands to pass to
the Userconfig program to disable/enable devices, change their
settings ie. irq etc..

the file consists of commands, one per line, in the same form as one
would type them at the Userconfig command line prompt
for example to disable the ep0 device one would have the line:
di ep0
Or to change the irq for the ed0 device to 5:
irq ed0 5
the file is usually finished off with a "quit" or even just a "q" as
commands can be abbreviated

next time you boot your computer type "-c" at the boot prompt (you
might have to hit a key to get a boot prompt)
and when the Userconfig prompt appears type "help" for a list of
commands or type "visual" to go into a more "user-friendly"
mode.. :)

Hope this helps..
- Cillian