Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:59:00 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Marcel Dijk" <nascar24@home.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot

"Marcel Dijk" <nascar24@home.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This afternoon I added a disk to my FreeBSD machine. And then I made a
>mistake. I was creating partitions on the new disk with =
/stand/systinstall
>(fdisk) and after that I accidently chose BOOT MANAGER instead of MBR, =
what
>I wanted. Now my machine doesn't boot anymore. I get to see:

Were you dual booting, or is FreeBSD the only Operating System?

Does it work as previously if you remove the disk you added?

Are the drives correctly jumpered for Master/Slave?

>Invalid Partition
>Invalid Partition
>no /boot/loader
>
>>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
>boot:

It should wait for input here so try entering something like:
0:ad(1,a)/kernel

If that works it would indicate that your old drive became the Slave =
somehow.

>I am/was running FreeBSD 4.2. What am I supposed to do now, to make it =
boot
>again. I DID NOT change anything on the exsisting disk. I only created
>partitions on the new disk and accidently chose BOOT MANAGER instead of =
MBR.

If you Really did not change anything other than the boot manager then
your data should be intact.

> Thanks, eveything I need is on that machine so it has to work...

But recently backed up I hope.

Do you have a fixit cd or fixit.flp?

John.