Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:04:13 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot get ethernet off the ground

William Gordon Rutherdale wrote:

> I have to use paper-sneakernet because
> - no network connectivity yet
> - tried plugging in a memory stick; it flashed but nothing showed up
> with the 'mount' command
>
> Here are the last two entries from the 'pciconf -lv' command, which look
> relevant to the problem.  I had to write them down on paper and walk
> over to this room to type them.  Please pardon any typos:
>
> none2@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x2abf103c chip=0x816810ec
> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor          = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
>     device          = 'RTL 8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC'
>     class           = network
>     subclass        = ethernet

This may be supported by the "re" driver. Run your ifconfig setup
commands against "re0" and see what happens. This should be present
in the GENERIC kernel, if you have a custom kernel with it removed
just kldload the module. You should also be able to grep "re" out
from your dmesg.

[snip]

> Question 1.  Is it possible that FreeBSD 7.1 would do a better job?

Sometimes with these adapters not every chipID makes it into the driver
code. Usually this takes care of itself as time goes on, eg "newer is
better".

If you are just starting out with a new machine and a fresh install
you might want to consider 7.1-RELEASE.
[snip]

>> fwe is ethernet emulation driver for firewire.
>> post output of pciconf -lv.

[snip]

-Mike