Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 06:24:57 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1186764244.bc8078@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apsfilter setup problem

(I apologise if this pops-up twice but it seems that sending to
questions@ -- and not to freebsd-questions@ -- doesn't work for me.)

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:44:04 -0400
David Banning <david+dated+1186764244.bc8078@skytracker.ca> wrote:

> I am setting up a new installation of apsfilter to a network printer.
> There a re the install options I have set during apsfilter setup.
>=20
>=20
>         (D)     Available Device Drivers in your gs binary
>         (R)     Read Ghostscript driver documentation
> (devices.txt)
>=20
>         (1)     Printer Driver Selection                [ljet4]
>         (2)     Interface Setup                         [samba]
>         (3)     Paper Format                            [letter]
>         (4)     Printing Quality                        [high]
>         (5)     Color Mode                              [gray]
>         (6)     Print Resolution in "dots per inch"     [600x600]
>         (7)     Default Printing Method                 [auto]
>=20
>=20
> I go to print a test page, and it's successful;
>=20
> Printing Test page using:
> gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER                 -dSAFER
> -r600x600 -sDEVICE=3Dljet4 -sPAPERSIZE=3Dletter
> -sOutputFile=3D'/tmp/apsfilter88754/test_page.aps' setup/test.ps
>=20
> Ok to print testpage? [y/n] y
>=20
>=20
> I creates and entry in /etc/printcap;
>=20
> lp|ljet4;r=3D600x600;q=3Dhigh;c=3Dgray;p=3Dletter;m=3Dauto:\
>     :lp=3D/dev/null:\
>     :if=3D/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
>     :sd=3D/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>     :lf=3D/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
>     :af=3D/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:
>=20
> But it will not print with the command
>=20
> ls | lp
>=20
> or  =20
>=20
> ls | lpr
>=20
> or=20
>=20
> lp -dlp
>=20
>=20
> I installed samba without CUPS printing support.
>=20
> # lpc stat all
> lp:
>         queuing is enabled
>         printing is enabled
>         no entries in spool area
>         printer idle
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any ideas how I can bridge from a working test to a non-working=20
> print setup?

Hello David,

You should let apsfilter SETUP program to add the entry in printcap (you
wrote that you added it yourself). It should be marked with something
like:

  # APS1_BEGIN:printer1
  # - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
  # - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
  [...]
  # APS1_END - don't delete this

Apart from this, your printcap details seem good. However, the problem
you described could be related to permissions. You run SETUP program as
root, but you try to print as an ordinary user, I guess. Please check
permissions/ownership of samba-client configuration file
under /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87