Date:      Tue, 30 May 2017 17:23:01 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of portmaster

> The ports tree continues to evolve. Major new features are planned and in the process of being implemented. These changes will break all the port-building tools.

> poudriere and synth are actively developed, so they will quickly support the new changes. portmaster and portupgrade are no longer being actively developed, so it is anticipated that they will stop working until somebody fixes
> them (if at all).

> So no, portmaster isn't going away. But, there's no guarantee that it will keep working. We strongly, strongly advise everyone to use poudriere or synth to build their ports, and then plain old "pkg upgrade" to handle updates.

> The vast majority of problems reported on this mailing list exist only in portmaster/portupgrade, because they do not do clean builds. At this point, portmaster should only be used by people with enough ports development
> experience to understand and mitigate conflicts and various build errors.

# Adam

> Adam Weinberger

I remember the days when some FreeBSD users swore by portmanager, but subsequent changes to ports framework rendered portmanager unworkable.  I never used portmanager.

I used portupgrade but switched to portmaster.

First attempt to build synth failed on FreeBSD-current when the system crashed and rebooted as I was sleeping, so maybe not synth's fault.

Now I see it might be impossible to build synth on FreeBSD-current due to some ports, including lang/gcc5-aux and lang/gcc6-aux, not building following the change to ino64; lang/gcc6-aux is a dependency of synth.

But I suppose this will be patched, hopefully in the near future.

I noticed that synth was ported to NetBSD along with pkg, but see nothing on NetBSD emailing lists regarding synth.

Maybe synth is not catching on in NetBSD; pkgsrc users seem to be staying with pkg_* tools like in FreeBSD before the switch to pkgng.  Big nuisance updating packages whose names have changed.

Tom