Date:      18 Dec 2002 17:04:50 -0800
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting Perl scripts to work as mail filters

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> writes:

| What about appending directly to the mailbox file under /var/mail/$USER with
| the script?

I'd recommend against that.  Using the sendmail interface is just as easy
programmatically as appending it to /var/mail/whatever, plus you don't run into
any messy issues with lockfiles and such.  Just use sendmail; it's already
there.

| Procmail is exactly the sort of bloated tool that I'm trying to avoid.

Well, for this, you don't need procmail, especially if you have a dedicated
alias for this.

| I don't know that calling sendmail again would be _that_ hard.  After all,
| I'm mostly just copying the input to the output.  I guess all I'd have to do
| would be to change the recipient address to avoid a loop (?).  Right?  Can't
| I just leave all the headers intact otherwise?

Absolutely; in fact, that's the best solution to the problem.