Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:14:54 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>, Tim Erlin <tim@firstinitiallastname.com>
Subject:   Re: SSH questions

* Peter Leftwich (Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com) [020423 20:52]:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > On 23 Apr 2002, at 7:53, Tim Erlin boldly uttered:
> > > You can run ssh with -v and get some good debug output. Might be useful. --Tim
> > Indeed it may be.  Here's what I see when the session disconnects:
>
> I use the command `ssh -l username -C domain.net` but find the -v flag
> interesting... does ssh report the verbose stuff when the user "ends" the
> ssh session (hits Ctrl-D at the remote site)?
>
> > $ Read from remote host host.example.com: Connection reset by peer
> > Connection to host.example.com closed.
> > debug: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 29815, stderr 128 bytes in 861.7 seconds
> > debug: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 34.6, stderr 0.1
> > debug: Exit status -1
> >
> > So I get a couple of things.  The session lasted about 14 mins (maybe there's a 10 min idle timer?), the Connection reset by peer message, and the "Exit status -1". Does this tell us much?
> > Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
> > Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium
>
> A lot of commercial ISPs with unix logins have idle timers that kick you
> off.  You may be able to get away with a shell script that types a "."
> every 1 minute to prevent getting kicked.

A unix idle timer wouldn't drop the connection such that your client would
report "Connection reset by peer". My first thought would be to ask whether
you or the ISP are running NAT anywhere. NAT systems are nearly always set to
drop inactive connections after a certain period of time to keep the state
table from filling up (and thus stopping new connections from being used). The
best way to combat this is not to raise the limit on the NAT, but to use the
built in keepalive feature that your ssh client provides.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)