Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2010 09:36:03 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd releases?!?!?!(confused)

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:27:19AM +0000, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:

> hello,
>
> i was using gentoo linux and i have install FBSD 8.0 in my second machine..
>
> i have read the handbooks but i cannot understand which version of FBSD i
> have.
> i mean i know that i have 8.0 but i have the stable or the unstable
> version???

FreeBSD uses the terms a little differently than Linux world.

The most supported/stable/etc version for the public is 'RELEASE'
That is generally what you want.
STABLE is close to a RELEASE in that it is a snapshot of the most recent
work, but not necessarily all prettied up with everything tested
against it.   It is the best (eg most stable) of the development tree
Then there is CURRENT.   IT is the 'bleeding edge' and not expected to
be stable at all.  It is essentially a snapshot of head.

So, unless you are doing development of stuff to be committed to the tree
or for some reason you need something that has been added to the tree, but
not yet released, then use RELEASE.   Otherwise take a chance with STABLE.

STABLE is sort of a middle ground - not quite ready for release, but
mostly reliably usable.   The ports have generally not been proved
against STABLE yet either, but have against RELEASE - though the ports
move on at their own pace.

////jerry